Yun Raymond Fu GoogleCitation
Founding Director of SMILE Lab
College of Computer and Information Science (Affiliated)
E-mail: yunfu AT ece Dot neu Dot edu
I am continuously looking for excellent Ph.D. students, PostDocs, Visiting Scholars, and Research Associates to work on machine learning, data mining, computer vision, and social media analytics. Please send me your CV if interested.
Research Interests: Machine Learning and Computational Intelligence, Social Media Analytics, Human-Computer Interaction, and Cyber-Physical Systems
Associate Editor: IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks and Leaning Systems (TNNLS) (2013-), IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology (TCSVT) (2011-), Neurocomputing (2008-), International Journal of Pattern Recognition and Artificial Intelligence (IJPRAI) (2011-), Journal of Multimedia (JMM) (2009-), Journal of Electronic Imaging (JEI) (2014-).
- 11/2014, PI, Adobe, Gift donation, $9k.
- 11/2014, My students Zhengming Ding, Kang Li, and Sheng Li received the ICDM 2014 NSF Student Travel Award. Congratulations!
10/2014, PI, MITLL, Multimedia Search and Retrieval, $45k, 11/14-11/15.
09/2014, PI, DHS, Video-Based Re-Identification of Subjects, $60k, 9/14-9/15.
- 09/2014, Co-PI, NIH, Multimodal Speech Translation for Assistive Communication, $489,200, 9/14-9/16
- 09/2014, We have 2 ICDM 2014 Regular papers accepted (Acceptance rate is 9.7%). Congratulations!
- 09/2014, My students Chengcheng Jia, Shuyang Wang, and Zhengming Ding received the ACM MM 2014 Student Travel Award. Congratulations!
- 09/2014, We have 1 IEEE Transactions on KDE paper accepted for 2014 publishing.
- 09/2014, I accepted the invitation to serve as Associate Editor of Journal of Electronic Imaging (JEI).
- 08/2014, I am elected as the Chair of IEEE Boston Computational Intelligence Chapter (CIS011).
- 08/2014, Co-PI, NSF, Wireless Sensing of Speech Kinematics and Acoustics for Remediation, $150k, 9/14-9/16
- 07/2014, We have 1 Full (Long) ACM MM 2014 paper and 1 short paper accepted.
- 07/2014, Our ICME2014 paper was selected as one of the 4 ICME2014 Best Paper Award candidates (4 out of 716 submissions).
- 06/2014, We have 1 ECCV 2014 paper and 2 ECCV14-workshop papers accepted.
- 06/2014, PI, I received the 2014 DOD DURIP Award from the Department of Defense (DOD). $240k, 6/14-6/15.
05/2014, PI, NSF, Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) Award, $16k, 6/14-12/15.
- 05/2014, We have 1 IEEE Transactions on CSVT paper accepted for 2014 publishing.
04/2014, PI, I received the 2014 ARO Young Investigator Award from the Army Research Office (ARO). $150k, 5/14-5/17.
- 04/2014, We received the 2014 SDM Best Paper Award from SIAM SDM
- 04/2014, PI, I received the 2014 ONR Young Investigator Award from the Office of Naval Research (ONR). $510k, 6/14-6/17.
04/2014, Publicity Chair, IJCNN 2015.
- 04/2014, We have 2 AAAI 2014 papers accepted. Congratulations!
- 03/2014, We have 3 ICME 2014 papers accepted.
- 03/2014, My student Sheng Li received the SDM2014 Student Travel Award.
- 03/2014, My students Shuhui Jiang and Hongfu Liu received the prestigious Dean's Fellowship, NEU CoE.
- 02/2014, News@Northeastern, Face Value.
- 02/2014, We have 1 .
- 01/2014, Adjunct Professor (honorable recognition), Xi'an Jiaotong University, China, 2014-2019.
- 01/2014, We have 1 IEEE Transactions on PAMI paper accepted for 2014 publishing.
01/2014, PI, Samsung, Visual Recognition, $160k, 1/14-1/15.
- 12/2013, We have 1 SIAM International Conference on Data Mining (SDM 2014) full paper accepted for 2014 publishing.
- 12/2013, We have 1 IEEE Transactions on PAMI paper and 1 IJCV paper accepted for 2014 publishing.
- 11/2013, I received the 2014 INNS Young Investigator Award from the International Neural Networks Society (INNS).
- 11/2013, We have 1 IEEE Transactions on CSVT paper accepted for 2014 publishing.
- 10/2013, I have a new book with Springer on Low-Rank and Sparse Modeling for Visual Analysis for 2014 publishing.
09/2013, Our FG 2013 paper by Sheng Li, Liangyue Li, and Yun Fu received the Best Student Paper Honorable Mention Award.
08/2013, We have 2 ICCV 2013 papers accepted.
07/2013, I accepted the invitation to serve as Area Chair of FG 2015.
06/2013, We have 1 Full (Long) ACM MM 2013 paper accepted.
06/2013, I accepted the invitation to serve as Associate Editor of IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks and Leaning Systems (TNNLS).
04/2013, PI, ARO, Manifold Learning for 3D Shape Description and Classification, $50k, 9/13-7/14.
03/2013, PI, Northeastern University Tier 1 Program, $50k, 7/13-6/14.
03/2013, I received the 2012 TCSVT Best Associate Editor (BAE) Award.
03/2013, Our FG paper is selected to a special issue of the Image and Vision Computing Journal on "The Best of Face and Gesture 2013".
03/2013, My student Handong Zhao received the prestigious Dean's Fellowship, NEU CoE.
02/2013, PI, Technion-Northeastern University Research Partnership, $90k, 2/13-2/14.
11/2012, We have 5 FG 2013 papers accepted including 1 oral presentation.
09/2012, Founding Director of the Synergetic Media Learning (SMILE) Lab at Northeastern University.
- Fall 2015, EECE 5698 - Introduction to Visualization [CourseWeb]
- Spring 2015, EECE 3464 - Linear Systems [CourseWeb]
- Fall 2014, EECE 5698 - Introduction to Visualization [CourseWeb]
Spring 2014, CS 5320 - Digital Image Processing [CourseWeb]
- Fall 2013, EECE 5698 - Introduction to Visualization [CourseWeb]
- Spring 2013, EECE 3464 - Linear Systems [CourseWeb]
- Spring 2013, EECE 2411 - Introduction to ECE Lab [ CourseWeb ]
Recent Publications [Full-List]
[B-01] Yun Fu, Low-Rank and Sparse Modeling for Visual Analysis, Springer, 2014 (in press)
[B-02] Yuan Yao, Fan Zhang, and Yun Fu, Realtime Hand-Gesture Recognition Using RGB-D Sensor, in Computer Vision and Machine Learning with RGB-D Sensors, L. Shao, J. Han, P. Kohli, and Z. Zhang (Eds.), Springer-Verlag, 2014. (in press)
Yun Fu, Human-Centered Social Media Analytics, Springer, 2014 (in press)
Yun Fu and Yunqian Ma, Graph Embedding for Pattern Classification, Springer, 2013
Haomian Zheng, Zhu Li, Yun Fu, Aggelos K.Katsaggelos, and Jane You, Video Activity Recognition by Luminance Differential Trajectory and Aligned Projection Distance, volume 31, Handbook of Statistics, C.R.Rao and Venu Govindaraju (Eds.), 2013
[J-01] Sheng Li and Yun Fu, Learning Balanced and Unbalanced Graphs via Low-Rank Coding, IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering (T-KDE), Volume:, Issue:, Page(s):, 2014.
[J-02] Kang Li and Yun Fu, Prediction of Human Activity by Discovering Temporal Sequence Patterns, IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence (T-PAMI), Volume: 36, Issue: 8, Page(s): 1644-1657, 2014.
[J-03] Yu Kong, Yunde Jia and Yun Fu, Interactive Phrases: Semantic Descriptions for Human Interaction Recognition, IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence (T-PAMI), Volume: 36, Issue: 9, Page(s): 1775-1788, 2014.
[J-04] Ming Shao, Dmitry Kit, and Yun Fu, Generalized Transfer Subspace Learning through Low-Rank Constraint, International Journal of Computer Vision (IJCV), Volume: 109, Issue: 1-2, Page(s): 74-93, 2014.
[J-05] Ya Su, Sheng Li, Shengjin Wang, and Yun Fu, Submanifold Decomposition, IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology (T-CSVT), Volume:, Issue:, Page(s):, 2014.
[J-06] Yuan Yao and Yun Fu, Contour Model based Hand-Gesture Recognition Using Kinect Sensor, IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology (T-CSVT), Volume:, Issue:, Page(s):, 2014.
[J-07] Liangyue Li, Sheng Li and Yun Fu, Learning Low-Rank and Discriminative Dictionary for Image Classification, Image and Vision Computing (IVC), 2014. (Accepted, invited for special issue on The Best of Face and Gesture 2013)
Xu Zhao, Xiong Li, Zhe Wu, Yun Fu, and Yuncai Liu, Multiple Subcategories Parts-Based Representation for One Sample Face Identification, IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security (T-IFS), Volume: 8, Issue: 10, Page(s): 1654-1664, 2013.
[C-01] (Oral Presentation)
[C-03] (Oral Presentation  1 out of 384)
[C-04] Ding and Yun Fu, Low-Rank Common Subspace for Multi-view Learning, IEEE International Conference on Data Mining (ICDM), 2014 [Regular paper, acceptance rate 9.7%]
[C-05] Kang Li, Sheng Li, and Yun Fu, Early Classification of Ongoing Observation, IEEE International Conference on Data Mining (ICDM), 2014 [Regular paper, acceptance rate 9.7%]
(Oral Presentation  4 out of 716)
(Oral Presentation,  )
Jie Hu, Yu Kong, and Yun Fu, Behavior Recognition by Learning Structural and Pairwise Mid-level Features Using Random Forest, IEEE Conference on Automatic Face and Gesture Recognition (FG), 2013
Acknowledgements of Support
Last Update: 9-11-2013, Copyright 2004~2014, Raymond Fu, All Rights Reserved